Compare cheap van insurance quotes and see if you could save
- Compare van insurance quotes for private and commercial use
- Policies from multiple providers for double cabs and pick-ups
- Commercial van insurance and private van cover – find it here
Our trusted van insurance brands
How do I find the right van insurance?
Van drivers – you always deliver, and great news, GoCompare’s got the goods for you. Yes, we’re talking about van insurance deals!
- Roll up the shutters on the Van insurance warehouse for guides, tips and help
- Do you need private or business van insurance?
We’ve hooked up with the leading van insurers to pit the best policies on the market, head-to-head, and it’s sure to rev up your vanderlust.
There’s cover for Transits, Vivaros, VWs, Boxers, and almost every model in between, plus policies for private and business use.
So, bang your knife and fork on the table! It’s time for a scrumptious serving of van insurance policies.
How to get a van insurance quote
The only things you need to get your quote started are:
- Your personal and contact details
- Where the vehicle’s kept overnight
- Your licence type and how long you’ve held it for
It’s a ‘Brucie bonus’ if you know the vehicle’s registration number, because it’ll speed up the process, but if not, you can enter the details manually. And, don’t panic, you can also quote for Q-plated vans.
You’ll also be asked about:
- Other drivers who’ll take the wheel from time to time – you can buddy up on the policy and add named drivers
- Any medical conditions or disabilities that have to be reported to the DVLA – it may limit the number of insurers that will offer you a policy and, perhaps, increase the expense
Answer all these questions truthfully, or risk breaking the law, invalidating your cover if you have an accident, or need to claim.
What’s your van worth?
After you’ve bared your soul, GoCompare estimates the value of your van. If you’ve recently had it valued, we’ll wind our neck in and you can tell us its price instead.
Then, tell the insurer about your van’s features:
- Security devices
- If it’s an imported van
- Trailer cover
Plus, anything else that makes your van and situation unique.
Now’s your chance to whip out your no claims discount (NCD) and add it to your quote.
Types of van insurance
There are three types of van insurance:
- Comprehensive cover
- Third party fire and theft
- Third party only policy
Van insurance conundrums
- Nope, vans don’t have a ‘social, domestic, pleasure and commuting’ classification. This isn’t car insurance.
- If you commute to even a single place of work in a van, it’s business time. Get a commercial van policy, not a private one.
You can also get one-day, short-term or temporary van insurance for light commercial vehicles (LCVs).
Get the van use classification right
Every van is a classy customer – bootiful – but insurers need to know how you use it to work out your quote.
You can choose from:
- Social only
- Carriage of own goods
- Carriage of goods for hire or reward
Picking the right van insurance policy for you
GoCompare will lift up its drapes to show you the nuts and bolts of each policy:
- Type of cover
- Excess level(s)
- Personal accident cover
- Legal assistance
- Breakdown cover
- A courtesy vehicle
- Windscreen cover
A slap-up three-course van insurance policy may include all of these juicy features as standard. Others won’t. Fortunately, you’ll see all your quotes side-by-side to separate the wheat from the chaff.
As well as picking the best quote for you, you can also decide whether to pay annually, or monthly.
Peer under the van insurance hood
The articles and guides in the Van insurance warehouse tackle your burning questions about van insurance.
There’s an introduction to the basics, how quotes are calculated, optional extras, security, modifications, no claims discounts, telematics and tips for saving money on your premiums.
We also talk business versus private insurance, courier cover, young drivers, the running costs of a van against a car, short-term cover, breakdown policies, and van versus car insurance as some models are really easily confused!
The van hire diaries
Protect your van from crime
Pass your van MOT first time
Cheap vans for young drivers
Easy to park vans
Are you ready for a breakdown?
The right van for the job
The day I got trapped in a van
What does Euro 6 mean for your van?
Based on Gocompare.com data
20% of customers who provided their van insurance renewal price saved up to £128.11 with Gocompare.com (01 Jul 2017 to 30 Sep 2017)
79% of customers who left a van insurance review recommend Gocompare.com
Average rating 4.4 out of 5 for van insurance, from 272 reviews left by Gocompare.com customers (as at September, 2017)