Complete your BS in Nursing at UMassD
The UMass Dartmouth College of Nursing offers registered nurses an online baccalaureate program that is individually planned for each student. The program builds on the RN s nursing experience providing a more in-depth study of the physical and social sciences, leadership and management, community and public health, research, and the humanities. The RN to BS program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is offered as degree completion for those who already hold a valid RN License in the state they reside. Students may transfer non-nursing course credits from other institutions to meet most program requirements. A total of 31 online course credits must be taken at UMass Dartmouth.
A total of 31 credits, including 28 online nursing credits and 3 elective credits must be taken at UMass Dartmouth.
The RN to BS degree program students learn about:
- Effective communication
- Collaboration strategies
- Outcome evaluation
- Leadership and advocacy
- Therapeutic interventions
- Professional development
A clinical community nursing course allows students to apply new knowledge concepts through faculty-directed independent study.
RN-BS degree applicants must show proof of a valid, unencumbered United States RN license and possess the functional capabilities to perform the skills and behaviors required of professional nurses. Students are responsible to fulfill all of the regulatory requirements of the clinical agency that they will be enrolled in during the community health clinical course.
Some healthcare fields are moving toward requiring a baccalaureate degree. Nurses with a BS in Nursing have expanded career options including:
UMass Dartmouth Advantages
Customize your education and receive the help and guidance to finish as planned:
- UMass Dartmouth ranks in the top 50 in the United States for online Bachelor of Science in Nursing programs according to College Choice .
- Faculty-directed independent study in clinical community nursing
- UMassD online bachelor s degree program ranked #7 in the nation by College Choice for most affordable online colleges
- Value and affordability of a UMass education
- Generous transfer policy
- One-on-one personal advising from enrollment through graduation
- Military friendly, with leading practices in the recruitment and retention of students with military experience
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
Sample Course Offerings
Examples of required RN-BS courses include (course offerings subject to change):
- Transition to Baccalaureate Nursing
- Selected Mechanisms of Disease and Related Pharmacology
- Professional Nursing
- Holistic Health Assessment
- Community Health Nursing
- Nursing Care of Persons with Chronic Illness
Learning Style: Online
Online courses are taught by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and home responsibilities within the structure of defined assignment due dates.
Program ineligible for residents of AL, AR, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, NV, NM, MN, NC, TX, WA WV
Due to regulations resulting from state legislation pertaining to the clinical experience requirement for this program, UMass Dartmouth RN-BS Degree applicants with a permanent residence in Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, Minnesota, North Carolina, Texas, Washington, and West Virginia are not being considered.
Still have questions? Trying to choose the best fit for you? Complete the form below and someone will be in touch soon.
A 2016-2017 Military Friendly School,
that focuses on recruitment
and retention of students with
An Official UMass Dartmouth Web Page/Publication
2017 Board of Trustees of the University of Massachusetts
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
• 285 Old Westport Road • Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300
Phone: 508 999-9202 • TDD: 508 999-9250 • Privacy
• Contact UMass Dartmouth